TopHeader

Virtue Follow us on Twitter Join us in Facebook Leave a Note Style Marriage Faith Life

Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Look for Wayy Less: White shirt dress edition

 Spring has sprung and I can't think of a better way to celebrate than to don a "classic white shirt" dress.

I couldn't be more excited about this classic piece being one of Spring's go to styles. It's a nice break from the brights and neons, to a more clean, crisp finish. It screams Audrey Hepburn and Diane Keaton. Don't you just love them?

If you've been in the market like I have, I'm sure you noticed most of the white "Shirt dresses" of quality have some pretty steep price points; one of my favorites retails for around $245. 

Now I'm a woman who loves her clothing, but not enough to spend $245 on a dress that I'd have to purchase in a size that wouldn't fit my post baby body in two and a half months. 

So what's a girl to do?


Well, I decided to make it my mission to create the look for "Wayy Less."

The challenge:
Instyle Magazine Spring 2012
I think this might be my cheapest recreate ever because all the pieces were things I already had in my closet. Most of them for five years plus. See why it's important to have all the necessary staple pieces? (If you missed that style article you can find it here).

Here's what I used:

1. White t-shirt tunic (New York & Company $8 on clearance)
2. White sheath dress w/ full skirting (Target $15 on clearance)
3. White tank top (Forever21 $3.80)
4. Pearl necklace (gift)
5. White floppy hat (NYC street vendor $10)
6. Waist belt (Francesca's Collections $18)
7. Wine pumps (Jessica Simpson $19)



Similar pieces:

1. White button-up (Kohl's $24.99)
Source
or

White button down (Target $22.99)
Source

2. White skirt (Old Navy $29.94)
Source
 5. White floppy $10.50
Source
 6. Floral Waist belt $18
Source

7. Wine Pumps $40
Source

I know it's very tempting to simply buy a shirt dress, but how many more uses can you get out of two separate pieces paired with different items from your wardrobe? 
A lot! 
Believe me, no one will know it's not a dress except for you.

Happy Shopping!

20 comments:

  1. First off, I am SO SORRY it's taken me so long to become a follower! I love your blog and the things you stand for. Now that that's out of the way - this outfit is so glam. I love the gorgeous belt and hat. I have to wear a white button-down to work every day, so maybe I can take one and do what you did! Love it!

    Jenn

    passengerseatperspectives.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenn! No need to apologize. I'm just happy you're here. : ) Thank you so much. It's so hard to stay true to who I am but with supporters like you, it's a daily reminder why it is I do what I do. I love my white hat. I'm a total hat lady, I just never get to wear it that often because I live in a very beachy laid back town. I usually save all my ultra-glam things for NYC. : )

      Delete
  2. You are totally rocking the white shirt. Very Floridian style too with that adorable sun hat!

    BTW, I just realized you're pregnant, are you serious?? I mean, you look KILLER!! ;) You glow* girl!

    btw, I haven't posted, I'm swamped with work :( ugh!

    www.houseofhemingway.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Thanks love! Yes I'm one week shy of 8 months. I'm thinking this might be my last outfit post for a while. : )Don't worry, I've been slacking this week too. Life is just getting the best of me.

      Delete
  3. hello gorgeousness!!! beautiful beautiful outfit!

    http://www.yuliconversations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow
    ur blog is AWESOME!
    would u like to follow each other?<3

    GIVEAWAY CONTEST last 2 days!

    http://www.ontomywardrobe.com/2012/03/contest-win-one-of-these-necklaces.html

    GIVEAWAY CONTEST last 2 days!

    http://www.ontomywardrobe.com/2012/03/contest-win-one-of-these-necklaces.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irene, thanks for stopping by. I look forward to checking out your site.

      Delete
  5. Love your look for less!! So cute! I really like how you added the colored heels for that extra something!

    xx
    Giovanna
    www.oliveandanarrow.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey love! Thank you. I was going to go with a brighter and then thought, "Wait. I'm trying to get away from the bright colors." lol

      Delete
  6. Look at you and your cute pregnant self :). I love shirt dresses. My style is not classic whatsoever so would add some leopard heels. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are beautiful inside and out...love the pictures. And Jessica Simpson pumps at such a great price! Lucky you!!
    If only I could pull off hats! So cute!

    Lola
    http://beeyoutifulyou.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love shirt dresses too and love what you did with the pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg, love this post. So classic and chic. The pumps are perfection and you look stunning as always.

    ps. thanks for your sweet comments, love. I always enjoy reading them. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your baby bump is adorable :) and I looove the white shirt dress and the belt. Great combo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look gorgeous Vonae! I especially love the pic with the shoes and hat! Super fab!

    XO Kelley
    http://www.keepsittingpretty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look absolutely lovely. Have a wonderful weekend.
    Creamy

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love the belt you added! so cute!

    love from San Francisco,
    Britt+Whit

    ReplyDelete