TopHeader

Virtue Follow us on Twitter Join us in Facebook Leave a Note Style Marriage Faith Life

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Grow in your relationship with God

The longer I've walked with God, the more I realize the rotating cycle I get into. At one point I'm at the height of my faith, praying, attending Bible studies, and seeking to be everything he's called me to be and then life happens. After a while, things are going so well I start settling into a comfort zone and then smack; I feel like God has abandoned me.

Has this ever happened to you?

The reality is, God doesn't abandon us, we loose sight of Him. He's constantly at our side leading and nurturing us; being our ever present help. In fact, he wishes to commune with us throughout our entire day; Not just in the mornings when we say a quick little prayer right before checking Facebook or at night as we dose off to sleep. In order for us to grow in our relationship with God and to stay close to him, we must make a daily effort to spend time with him.

Think about it this way . . .

You purchase a beautiful orchid plant that you proudly display on your living room shelf. It's a beauty to look at and you receive many compliments. The first two weeks you care for it daily, taking the time to water it, give it plant food, and place it by the window when you leave for work. A few weeks pass and the attraction to the plant starts to wane. Other things take your priority until one day you notice the stems have become bare. The once beautiful plant is now nothing more than a dried out resemblance of what it once was.

Isn't that just how our relationships with God can be?

Instead of allowing our relationships to grow cold and distant, we should seek daily to grow in our faith. I know it's easier said then done, but here are some practical ways we can get started:

1. Find a book on daily devotionals or an online resource. One of my favorite online sites is www.JoyceMeyer.org. She has a great bank of articles and a place where you can read daily devotionals.

2. Get plugged into a Bible Study or start one of your own. This hands down was a major growing point in my relationship with God. Through meeting with other women my age, I was able to dive into God's word while having a support system that became great friends. Some great Bible study teachers include Priscilla Shirer, Beth Moore, and Kay Arthur.

3. Purchase an inspirational non-fiction book. I'm currently reading "A Woman After God's Own Heart." It's an amazing book with concrete principles aimed at helping us grow through knowing God's desire for us to fellowship Him.

4. Read the Bible. This is one of those DUH things but I want to challenge you to read it differently. Instead of rushing through a chapter just to say you read it, read just a section of that chapter. (From bold heading to the next bold heading). Ask God to help you understand the section you just read and meditate on it. You'll be surprised how much more you'll get from that one section versus the entire chapter.

These are just a few ways we can grow deeper in our relationship with our heavenly father daily. Please don't let the only time you seek Him be Sunday mornings. I promise your life will be that much more fulfilling when you make it a daily priority.

1 comment:

  1. I really like this post. It is so easy for us to get off track, because of our hetic lifestyles. But, we have to learn to keep God first and doing that we have to work on our relationship with him daily. I am learning to refocus! This was definitely an on time post for me. Thank you so much and I love your blog btw! :)
    Oneisha Ford
    princess092.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete