TopHeader

Virtue Follow us on Twitter Join us in Facebook Leave a Note Style Marriage Faith Life

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Does praying actually work? Doesn't God have better things to do?

Taken from http://kristianwidjaja.com/blog/
 Growing up I always wondered how on Earth God could hear my prayers when so many other people were praying too. Sometimes I wondered (and still do) if God has better things to do other than listen to my rant, ravings, and complaints. I mean, I'm sure there's prayers out there that are more dire than mine right?

As I pondered this very thing over the years, God started to reveal to me that no prayer is miniscule. He showed me that I could pray about anything (even the small things) and He would care.

In short, those things that concerned me also concerned Him.

You maybe wondering what classifies a "small" thing? Well for me, getting dressed has become a chore because of my burgeoning baby bump. The other day I actually found myself in tears because nothing fit and I was running extremely late.

So what did I do?

I asked God to please help me find an outfit and He did! (It was actually quite stylish. : ))

Some of the other small things I pray about are help with finding my keys, new writing ideas, and most importantly, what on Earth to cook for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I've found that He's the greatest stylist and cookbook.

This may go against what you've learned, believe me I know. There are many great pastors, teachers and theologians who would disagree that God cares about the small things but I say to each is own. We all have our own personal relationships with God. It's up to us how much or little we choose to involve God on a daily basis.

So let's talk more in depth about prayer!

Prayer is not:
1. An elaborate, educated, over thought conversation using big words. God doesn't care about the thee's, thou's, and any other type of old English language. Just speak normally.
2. A wishing well
3. A long drawn out process. In fact, it can be a few seconds. Just speak what's on your heart.
4. Work
5.  A public spectacle (Totally not referring to praying for your food in public. That's completely fine)

Prayer is:
1. A simple conversation with God.
2. A chance to bring our requests and needs to God. (He tells us that he will provide our daily bread. So ask!)
3. An ongoing relationship
4.  A way to ask God for direction in our lives
5. Private

How do we pray and what can we pray for?


In Luke 11, Jesus gives suggestions on how we should pray. 

The first is to pray continually. This means that praying for something once is not enough. We are told to knock and keep knocking until the door is opened for us; to seek and we will find. If we only reach out once, can we truly say we prayed continually?

He also says to pray and if it's His will, it will be given to you. That's the one part most of us forget. God will never give us something that is not apart of His will for our lives. (Unless He's trying to show us something deeper) Besides his plan is so much better than our own. If he says no, you'd better believe He has something so much greater in store for your life.

What do I mean? Well a few years back my husband and I wanted to buy this home. It was truly my dream home. It was a brick Tudor style mini mansion equipped with an Olympic style pool, a two-story balcony, french doors all around, fire place, a double stair-case and so much more. The best part was that it was a half a million dollar home on the market for a steal! We wanted that house so bad. We offered asking price along with about ten other people but for some reason they took our offer. They actually took our offer! We were ecstatic! As we proceeded with the buying process our hearts became heavy and we started doubting if God really wanted us to have that house. Of course we loved it and it was perfect, but as God showed us the bigger picture, it was clear it wasn't the wisest idea. If we would have followed through with that home, we wouldn't had the wedding we wanted, the cars we drive, and I would've been stuck in my teaching profession which means this website would never have existed. : ) Thank God His plans are better than our own.

In the same chapter of Luke, He also gives us an outline on what we should pray for:
1. That His good and perfect will for our lives would be shown to us.
2. That we would be able to know Him.
3. That He would do what's best for us.
4. That He would provide our daily bread. (Food, clothing, and things we need to survive).
5. That He would forgive us and teach us how to forgive others.
6. That He would keep us from sin and
7. That He would protect us.

Isn't it nice to know that God really does care about our prayers? In fact, he wants us to come to him whenever with whatever. Even if you're not a believer, you can talk to God. He's waiting to hear from all of us.


If you have more questions, I'd love to talk! Leave a comment below or drop me a note. Have a wonderful day! : )

5 comments:

  1. Very insightful post, Vonae! I feel like your topics always really hit home right when I need them. I have found that my faith has been waning lately and I don't really know what's up. I've gone from praying multiple times a day to not praying at all. I know it's stupid, but I feel like once I get on a path of not praying, I feel like I can't start up again without seeming phony or hypocritical. This is a good reminder that it's up to us to determine what the relationship is like and to continually reach out and work on it. Thanks for putting things in perspective!

    xo,
    Ashley
    http://theleftfeelssoright.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley! It's funny that you say they hit home because I didn't even want to write about prayer. : ) I had a back and forth with God and obviously He won. I know what you mean. Sometimes when I get out of a rhythm I feel like it's so hard to get back into it so why even try? There's this saying "The soul is willing, but the flesh is not." So many times our flesh will convince us that we can't pray because we did this or that but the truth is, God wants us to come to Him whenever. Not just when we're perfect and on a good "prayer rotation." Keep striving!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post Vonae. So many challenges and so many requests (prayers). I work everyday on faith and remind myself I am not perfect, He has a plan. In His time...not mine. Meeting good people like you will be the extra push to always stay on course. Thank you for sharing...Lola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lola! He definitely has a plan, we just have to keep reminding ourselves that His will needs to be done in our lives over ours. It's truly a daily battle. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. Omg Vonae! first of- i love your name! Thank you, thank you, thank you for this post!! I myself, had a back and forth with God and He won- for which i cannot thank Him enough! Praying is just like having a conversation with someone that is next to you, God is right there when you pray, its amazing! I'm searching more and more of Him on a daily basis, He is so good!

    ReplyDelete