TopHeader

Virtue Follow us on Twitter Join us in Facebook Leave a Note Style Marriage Faith Life

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Does God still perform miracles? Part 1 of 3


                                                       
The other night I received a phone call from a friend asking me to pray for her roomate's mother who had taken a turn for the worse with ovarian cancer. I must admit, my first reaction when I receive calls like these or have an impossibly hard situation sent my way is, "Lord why me? What am I supposed to do to help these people? I'm just Vonae, why do others continue to trust me with these awful tasks?" To no surprise to me, his answer is always "pray."

That leads me to my question . . . Does God still do miracles? I mean if we pray, does he really answer? You know like the Old Testament type miracles; parting the sea, raising the dead, healing the sick, sending checks in the mail, answering prayers.

I've thought long and hard about this topic and it's still a hard one for me to approach. One realization that I've come to is that if God is going to do anything in our lives, we must first start by asking him to. Think about it, if we never ask for anything but expect for it to happen then can we really say God doesn't do miracles or hear us? (Having God do something miraculous in our lives starts with us on our knees). Jesus tells us in John 14:14, "You may ask me anything in my name, and I will do it."

So does that mean we can ask for a job that pays us in the six figures, a house that's 4,000 square feet, or a Mercedes S63 AMG? (Love that car!)

Sure, we can ask for those things, but here's the bad news . . . (Well it's not that bad)

The truth is, if it's not God's will for your life, he won't give it to you. Like your parents God would never give you everything you wanted because frankly, if he did, we'd all be huge hot messes. You know, like those kids you see in Target yelling at their parents and slapping them in the face because they didn't get what they wanted.

So awful.

At this point, you're probably thinking "then what can I ask for and actually receive?" We can ask for healing, a better job where we can make a difference, transportation, Godly relationships, provision, wisdom, favor with others, and so on. The key is asking and knowing that if it's in His will for our lives, the prayer will be answered.

That doesn't mean it'll be like "Abra kadabrah." God isn't a genie in a bottle.

Sometimes it takes as little as a second, but sometimes it may take years before we see our miracle come to pass. How do I know? I'd love to tell you. See you back here next week.

To be continued . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment