TopHeader

Virtue Follow us on Twitter Join us in Facebook Leave a Note Style Marriage Faith Life

Monday, May 28, 2012

Want Success? Do the prep work.

It's no secret that the current two generations are lazy and lack motivation to do much of anything. (Yes, I'm included in this statement). We're the generations of instant gratification. We want it now!

Patience . . . What's that?

Hard work . . . Um no thank you. I'll pay someone else to write my research papers and cut the lawn. I have better things to do. (Facebook!)

We want the nice car, large home, the American Express Centurion Card (the black card) and the job paying in the six figures, but most of us aren't willing to do the prep work that it takes to get there. Unlike the generations before us, we've grown up with the influx, manipulation, and unrealistic fame of reality television. Instead of doing well in school, going to college, launching a business, or starting as someone's assistant, we want to jump right into where we "deserve" to be.

I've read so many articles about success and googled the likes of "the most influential" people of the world only to see a reoccurring theme when asked how they got to where they are today. To no surprise, their answer is always "hard work."

To be honest, every time I see that now cliché response, I have to roll my eyes. I don't want a glossed over answer. I want a step by step story on how you went from poverty to a billionaire Oprah! The funny part is, as I did my hair the other morning, an odd revelation came to me.

In order to be successful in life, we have to be willing to do the prep work.

Let's rewind for a second. You're probably thinking what on Earth does my hair have to do with success. I know, me and my wacky scenarios, but anywhoo. To fully grasp my rambling, you must know that my hair is naturally curly. After years of chemically straightening it, the curls tend to droop and overall just give me a hard time when I want to wear my hair natural for a few months. Now, instead of just washing my hair (Bah) I have to do an entire regiment that takes about five steps to get my hair to its natural curliness. (Stupid straightening).

So anyhow, as I brushed my wet hair, applied the leave-in-conditioner, scrunched, added mouse, and then scrunched again, I realized that the beauty of my hair is determined by how willing I am to do the prep work to get it there. On the days where I skip steps, my curls look limp and crunchy instead of luscious and vibrant and it's the same with life.

In order for us to have any sort of success, we have to be willing to take each step. We can't go through life skipping three steps at a time like we're on a sprint up a staircase to the top. It's in each of those steps that we learn something new, meet important/influential people, develop our character, and ultimately gain the success that will last us a lifetime. (Unlike all those reality TV. stars whose fame, fortune, and success will only last for a little while. Although I do admire the Housewives of Beverly Hills; now those are some women who took the steps to being successful and are now reaping the benefits).

So I ask you . . .

Are you willing to do the prep work in order to get where you want to go? It might include being someone's assistant, making copies, and going on coffee runs, but hey we have to start somewhere right?

12 comments:

  1. Hi Vonae,

    What a great post! You hit the nail on the head. So true about all of this...I was just thinking the same things and pondering what to do with it all. I got the hair example right away. I have long hair. Wanted long hair after wearing it short for years...now I say, "Why have all this hair and not do anything with it?" Why, because it takes work. Since losing my job I find I have to dig way down to overcome the patience issue and instant gratification...As for Facebook. I tell myself I will delete it and move on just as I did before I got it...it really stifles so many people. Seriously. Thanks for sharing...seems like it's been a while since I've been out here. Hope all is well and you're feeling good with the heat waves!

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This goes perfectly along with what I was discussing with my HS art teacher over breakfast on Sat. He talked about how disappointed he is of the current generation and he tells me..."they're not the same. They're not like your generation, these guys feel the deserve the "A" with none of the work" I feel for him and I told him, "I'm glad you recognize that they're not the 'same', the the same token, you need to become more strict and teach them that there are will be no curves in grades, the will get the grade they deserve. If they get and "F" well...they must have deserved it and they will have to try again but the effort must come from them." I do feel that this generation feels all sort of special, while some of us are busting our butts trying hard to make something of ourselves, you see them not even trying and hoping that their success falls on their laps. It worries me because if this is an on-going trend, what will the future be like? Who's going to be running our adult day cares??? aghhh!!

    :D

    www.houseofhemingway.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! It is so true! We live in a time where it feels like people are majorly successful for doing nothing. And in some cases (I'm not going to name names) it's true. They just lucked out on life. But, if you want to be truly successful it takes hard work and dedication! Right on Vonae!

    xx
    Giovanna
    www.oliveandanarrow.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. haa your too cute, its totally fine. i get great ideas doing things that totally don't relate either. but that's fine.
    I agree, same with prepping before an job interview. Before, i thought all it takes is honesty to get hired at a decent job, turns out recruiters are looking for specific answers... i landed a fantastic job 8 months ago, i thank God and Google! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a beautiful communnity :)
    love the heart of it and your words.
    be blessed!

    xo
    erin

    sweetnessitself.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. How very true. If it were easy we all would be billionaires. I am like you . . in the fact that I hate the hard work response. I have a few people who I admire and if I see them in a magazine I will buy and read the article wanting all the details of how they did it.
    When you read the stories . . not only celebrities, but women owning businesses making six-figures + . . it really was all because they got up at 5 a.m worked hard all day and went to sleep at 2 a.m.
    Today, people want it the easy and quickly.
    Oh, Kandi of RHOA is also someone who truly has worked hard for her success and money.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is true--- success doesn't come overnight (and when it does, it is fleeting!). We really need to put in the effort and even then who knows how things will ultimately work out. The key is enjoying the process.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should be a voice of our generation:) This post is something, that I really needed! We can't skip the hardest steps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. something we should live up to. success is something hard to attain but with hardowork and dedication it can be achieved :)
    Rovie The Bargain Doll :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed reading this article! I seen myself throughout this post and totally got the hair thing (as I nodded) because I'm going throught the natural thing as well, so the comparison was brillant! As well as, me graduating in the Fall and currently interning and sometimes doing things at work I don't see a point in...I needed to hear this. It was great motivation. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vonae, hard work should pay off. I feel like I'm lost at the moment.I had a plan and I completed most of it, but I got so tired of being rejected that I settled for something that I'm very unhappy with (work-related.) I'm slowly working my way back to follow through with my initial plans, because I've realized that unless I keep trying it's never just going to fall on my lap. BTW I loved the reference you used about your hair! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really, really appreciate this post! It's something that's entered my mind before but I've never really gone deep into it. If I can keep this in my head I don't think there'll be anything (reasonabe) that I can't accomplish. ♥

    ReplyDelete