TopHeader

Virtue Follow us on Twitter Join us in Facebook Leave a Note Style Marriage Faith Life

Monday, April 9, 2012

Choose to be wise

Source
 When I sit and think about wisdom, I automatically envision an elderly person, someone much older than myself, or the wisest man who ever lived, Jesus. They're the people who have experienced much and just from listening to them, anyone could soak up valuable life lessons that could change the direction of their destiny. 

Wisdom . . .

A word that is defined as a deep understanding and realization of people, things, events or situations, resulting in the ability to apply perceptions, judgements and actions in keeping with this understanding. It often requires control of one's emotional reactions so that universal principles, reason and knowledge prevail to determine one's actions.

I mean who wouldn't want that? 



I can't see why any person would choose to go through life having to learn things the hard way. It just doesn't make any sense.

One thing that has consistently bothered me since my days as a teen is some people's inability to make good decisions and/or listen to advice.

I must admit I fall victim to these foolish antics at one time or another, (Usually when dealing with my parents or husband; I know that's terrible. I'm working on it) but overall I try to remain a teachable person.

Like my mom always says, "If you know everything, it's time for you to die."

Isn't that the truth though? No matter what your age, status, or position, we don't know everything. Sure we might be very educated and well-versed in one area but does that mean we're qualified to speak in all areas? 

Absolutely not.

I wouldn't try to tell a tech savvy person how to code a computer program or an engineer how to build a new bridge. I have no knowledge in those areas, therefore I keep my mouth shut.

For me, a wise person isn't just one with an education. They're the people who have experienced life, the lives of others, trials, tribulations, and have made the choice to incorporate these things into their everyday lives. 

They willingly listen to the advice of others and know how to filter the good from the bad. In part they're teachable. 

Think of someone who you admire for their wisdom.

How do you think they got there?

Was it simply through trial and error?

I highly doubt it. They're the ones who make an effort to meet new people, listen to their stories, and in turn take something from it. No matter how pointless a conversation may seem, we can always learn something; even if it simply teaches us that we don't want to be like the person we were communicating with.

For example, with my due date rapidly approaching I'm becoming more and more aware that I have no clue how to give birth to  a child. 

(I mean it's not like that sort of knowledge just falls from the sky. How on Earth is a human supposed to come out of me? Forget the fact that I'm still stunned that a little life is growing inside of me).

Last weekend I had the privilege of attending a friend's baby shower that just so happened to be filled with mothers of one and two year olds. They divulged story after story of their experiences, giving me advice and at times scaring the bejeezes out of me. It would've been easy for me to just tune them out, move to another table, or simply say "thanks I got it," but would that have been the wise thing to do? Absolutely not!

I jumped right in, listening to everything they had to say while taking mental notes. I couldn't pay for the kind of wisdom these ladies willingly imparted on me. Sure there's one thing to use Google, a book, or a class, but for me real life experiences will always win out over anything else. 

So what's my point?

Choose to me among the wise. 

When we think we know it all and have the attitude that "no one can teach me anything," we end up loosing in the end. People can clearly see when we think we're "too cool for school." It comes off cocky and will never get us anywhere in life.

Be someone who learns from the mistakes of others.
We don't know everything.


7 comments:

  1. Your absolutely right Vonae! Sometime people tend to forget how important it is to learn from their mistakes so they won't keep coming. I know I would want to be a good role model for other girls like me so they won't have to go through what I had. What an inspiring post and congrats on your new baby! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely true!! I know couple of people that just REFUSE to listen or take advice because they think they know absolutely everything... then end up miserable because of a bad decision.. I pray that we gain wisdom, for everyday to make smart choices and decisions, for ourselves and others around us.

    http://yuliconversations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! I look at life much like a tree...ever growing, ever changing. With knowledge comes wisdom. I love the elderly, so beautiful and wish I could sit with them and hear all kinds of stories...what they could teach us!
    As for childbirth...I never give advice, this way I don't scare anyone...everyone is different and who knows...you could go in there and be done in 15 minutes...I've met a few like that. Deep Breath!

    Thank you for sharing...I'm inspired...

    Hugs,
    Lola
    http://beeyoutifulyou.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I think you're right in everything you said. You are who you surround yourself with, so why not pick wise people to surround yourself with? I think that with wisdom comes much responsibility and many people don't want that responsibility. For me though, wisdom and wise people are such a breathe of fresh air!

    XO Kelley
    http://www.keepsittingpretty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've got me thinking....wisdom is such a big word. No wonder it takes years for anyone to be considered truly wise. But to gain wisdom takes more than just years. I've learned that wisdom resides in those who remain humble, who allow themselves to be taught and mentored by others. May we never lose that child-like quality that allows oneself to be led.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pray for wisdom often. I don't always get it, but I'm thankful when I have my moments. It's amazing how it improves all aspects of our lives.

    - Sarah
    A Girl In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. It takes a big person to recognize that we all need to keep learning and to keep bettering our behaviors. Even when we think we are on top of things, we still fall short! We just need to be like your mom when she says, "If you know everything, it's time for you to die." Love that!

    ReplyDelete